Financial Aid

» Eligibility

To be eligible for federal, state and institutional financial aid, you must:

  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-citizen (see below).
  • If male, be registered with Selective Service (with very few exceptions).
  • Have a high school diploma (or GED High School Equivalency diploma).
  • Be enrolled in a degree-seeking or approved certificate program.
  • Not be in default on any federal educational loans or owe a refund on a federal grant.
  • Make Satisfactory Academic Process.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time, i.e. for at least 15 ECTS during one semester (30 ECTS during academic year) if you are a student in BA or MA program.

To meet the Citizen or Eligible Non-citizen criterion, you must be:

  • A U.S. Citizen (or U.S. National).
  • A permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card.
  • The holder of an I-94 from the Department of Homeland Security with one of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Parolee – for a minimum of one year and status has not expired
    • Victim of Human Trafficking
    • T-Visa Holder: (T1, T2, T3, etc.)
    • Cuban-Haitian entrant

In addition to the eligibility criteria outlined on this page, each program may have additional requirements such as Expected Family Contribution (EFC), financial need, etc. Please refer to each program for specific information about eligibility for new students and continued eligibility for returning students.


» Application process


In order to be awarded financial aid at UJ, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. UJ's deadline for each upcoming school year is June 30.



A Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN) is no longer required in order to be able to sign your electronic FAFSA. 



The FSA ID removed the need for the personal identification number (PIN) and the use of personal identifiers such as name, birthdate, and Social Security number. Students (and parents) use the FSA ID to log on to FAFSA on the Web and other FSA websites—the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS),,, and the TEACH Grant website—with a username and password they create.

When you first log on to one of the above sites, you will be asked to create a username and password. If you have a PIN, you will have the option to link it to your new FSA ID, which will allow you to immediately use the ID on the above websites rather than wait 1–3 days while your identifying information is confirmed.

Click here to create an FSA ID.


Renewal FAFSA:

If you have received an FSA ID and had the year before a successful match on Social Security number (SSN), name, and date of birth with the Social Security Administration (SSA), you are eligible for a renewal FAFSA. When you log on to FOTW, you will be asked if you want to pre-fill some of the application with data from the prior year. By choosing this option, you can review each pre-filled item, correct any that has changed, and provide new information as needed. 


The Jagiellonian's School Code: 035973

You must list the Jagiellonian's school code on the FAFSA. Otherwise, we will not receive your FAFSA information and cannot award you financial aid. The Jagiellonian's school code is 035973. Please note that there is also a separate code for the Medical School of the Jagiellonian University (012224).


Student Status:

Students are considered dependent or independent based on information provided on the FAFSA. Most undergraduate students are considered dependent. All graduate and professional students are considered independent. Dependent students must report parental income information on the FAFSA. Dependency is not a status of choice.

An independent student is one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate or professional student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. A student who does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student is considered a dependent student.


Student Aid Report (SAR):

After receiving your FAFSA, the federal processor will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically (unless you filed a paper FAFSA). The SAR lists all the information you submitted on the FAFSA and explains the EFC calculated from that information. Review the SAR for accuracy. To make any corrections, log on to the FAFSA website.

When information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is processed, an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) is created and sent to us. ISIR contains the official EFC and allows us to make payment to eligible students. Since it may take a while for us to receive your ISIR, it is recommended you fax or post a copy of your SAR to us as soon as you get it.


Other Required Documentation:

You also need to complete US Financial Aid Declaration and Bank Details form and submit these documents to the FAA. Sometimes you might be required to submit additional documentation. If so, the FAA will send you a request via email. It is important that you submit any required documentation in a timely manner. You cannot be awarded aid until all required documentation is received and processed. The FAA will review the documentation you submit and make any necessary corrections to your FAFSA information.


Please submit all required documents (original documents via post and scanned versions via email) to:


Ewa Stankiewicz


tel. (+48 12) 663 1149


Katarzyna Wojczuk


tel. (+48 12) 663 1513


International Students Mobility Office
Jagiellonian University
Golebia 24,  room 21

fax. (+48 12) 663 15 45


» Award notification

Once your financial aid application and all requested information has been received and processed, you will be notified via E-mail that you have an Award Letter.  The Award Letter provides a summary of your financial aid: it contains your Cost of Attendance, and financial need calculation based upon the information you submitted on your FAFSA, finally it provides information on the awards that you have been offered and/or are receiving. The Award Letter also provides information on additional steps that must be completed if you want to decline your award. Failure to respond is considered an acceptance of the award.


» Disbursement

The delivery of Title IV funds must be carried out by organizationally independent individuals in accordance with cash management rules. While the FAA awards aid and authorizes payment to eligible students, the Department of Finances actually disburses and delivers the funds.

Financial aid is disbursed first to your University student account to pay your tuition, and other university fees. If the amount of your aid is greater than the charges on your student account, the difference will be sent to your bank account via direct deposit. The loan will be disbursed to your account no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of the semester. However, per federal regulations, all first-time Stafford loan borrowers' funds are subject to a 30-day delay. As such, their loan funds will be disbursed approximately 30 days after the start of the semester.

Please note, that loans cannot be disbursed until all required documents are received. A valid Promissory Note (agreement to repay the loan) for the specific loan program must be on file. In addition, first-time borrowers must complete complete online entrance counseling on the Department's website at


» Satisfactory academic progress (SAP)


TBA - SAP policy for the 2017-2018 a/y


Financial aid recipients are required to be in good standing and to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their degree requirements for each semester in which they are enrolled. In addition to meeting the academic standards outlined in JU Regulations for First-Cycle, Second-Cycle, and Long-Cycle Magister Programs of Study, financial aid recipients are required to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards outlined in this policy. Satisfactory academic progress for financial aid recipients enrolled in degree programs is evaluated at the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters. Failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as described below, will result in cancellation of financial aid awards, and the student may have to repay any funds already received. The policy provides for consistent application of standards to all students within categories of students.

Minimum Standards for financial aid recipients

The JU requirements for minimum SAP requirements for financial aid recipients are defined as follows:

A.                      Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA)
The student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (Polish grade equiv. 3.0). A student who will use transfer credits from another institution or from outside his home faculty must submit official transcript for evaluation according to the rules set by the respective faculty. Those grades will affect the cumulative GPA.

B.                      Minimum completion rate
The student must maintain a minimum cumulative completion rate of 70% of credits attempted as measured by comparing the total completed credits to the total attempted credits. Non-Credit Classes are not eligible for financial aid. A minimum 70% cumulative completion ratio is required at each evaluation period.  

C.                      Maximum Timeframe to Completion
The student must complete his or her educational program within a time frame no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the educational program. This policy applies to both undergraduate and graduate students.


Repeated Courses

All repeated course work affects the SAP Pace of Progression and Maximum Time.

Frame Standards. A repeated course and the original attempt must be counted as attempted credit hours and will count toward the student's maximum time frame. However, only the higher grade of a repeated course will be used in calculating the cumulative GPA.

Federal regulations require that the JU tracks the academic progress of financial aid recipients from the first date of enrollment at the JU, whether or not financial aid was received.

Student who does not earn their degree within the maximum timeframe to completion, outlined above, is no longer eligible to receive assistance under the Title IV, HEA programs.

All students receiving financial aid who are not meeting SAP standards will receive a written notification via email.


Financial Aid Warning

Students notified that they have violated the JU SAP policy will be placed on Financial Aid Warning at the end of the semester in which they did not meet the standards.

Students who are placed on Financial Aid Warning must submit a Warning Contract to the Financial Aid Administrator. Once the Warning Contract has been approved, students can receive financial aid for the warning semester.

If, at the end of the warning semester, the student successfully satisfies the SAP conditions, the Financial Aid Warning is lifted and they will receive aid for the following semester.

If a student fails to achieve the SAP during the warning semester, their financial aid will be canceled until they meet the SAP requirements or submit an SAP Appeal that is approved.

A student will not be retroactively paid for a semester(s) when aid is denied.

A student can be granted only one period of financial aid warning throughout the course of their academic career.


Financial Aid Probation

Any student denied financial aid, who can prove special circumstances which contributed to his or her failure to meet one of the SAP standards, may appeal the loss of aid. On a written appeal by a student, failure to meet the SAP requirements will be evaluated by the Financial Aid Administrator and Program Director. The student will be notified of the decision within 14 days of the Financial Aid Administrator receiving the written appeal request.

A successful appeal will result in a Financial Aid Probation period of one semester where eligibility is reinstated. During this probation period the student may be required to fulfill specific terms and conditions as established by an Academic Plan, which could include, among other things, taking certain courses, earning a certain number of credits and/or achieving a certain grade point average. At the end of the probation period, the student must meet the SAP conditions and/or the requirements of the Academic Plan; otherwise the student will again lose eligibility for financial aid.


Extenuating / Special Circumstances

Extenuating/special circumstances which might be grounds for an appeal include, but are not limited to:

- unexpected death of an immediate family member,

- extended hospitalization or medical condition of the student,

- the student being victimized in a violent crime.

The appeal must address, and document where appropriate, these extenuating circumstances, describing:

  • why the student failed to achieve the SAP
  • what has changed that will allow the student to achieve the SAP during the next semester.

» Special circumstances

Budget Adjustment

The FAA assigns each aid applicant a budget, or estimated cost of attendance (COA), before awarding aid. The COA is a good faith estimate of expenses a student will encounter in an academic year and it includes tuition and estimated costs for books and supplies, long-distance travel, utilities/internet, rent, food, local travel and miscellaneous/personal expenses.  A budget adjustment may be requested to cover certain additional costs above the standard budget.  The deadline for all budget adjustment form is two weeks prior to the end of each semester. 

All requests to increase a student's standard budget must be made using the Budget Adjustment Form.  Documented rare and special circumstance requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

Please allow at least ten business days from receipt of completed form with supporting documentation for your request to be reviewed and processed.   Additional documentation may be required upon review of your initial request.  Requests WILL NOT be processed and additional loan funds WILL NOT be certified until all required documentation is complete and submitted in an organized fashion.  The notes section is available to you to explain any special circumstances regarding your request.

Change of financial situation

If you experience a change in financial situation due to unusual circumstances, you should contact the FAA about the possibility of a Change of Financial Situation request. Unusual circumstances could include, but are not limited to, unusually high medical expenses paid (not covered by insurance or claimed as deductions on federal taxes), recent unemployment, divorce/separation or death of an immediate family member. Your financial aid could potentially be recalculated based on such changes, but they must be documented with supporting documentation as outlined on the Change of Financial Situation Form. Keep in mind, submitting paperwork is not a guarantee a change to your financial aid will occur.


» Award terms and conditions

The financial aid identified on your Award Letter is offered to you with the following conditions:

  • You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking student.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time.
  • You must notify the FAA of the sources and amounts of any financial assistance that you receive from all other sources, including but not limited to scholarships, loans, assistantships, fellowships and educational benefits that do not appear on your Award Letter.
  • The FAA reserves the right to adjust or cancel any award at any time because of the notification of awards not previously included on your Award Letter, changes in a student's financial status, academic status or due to an awarding error. Changes reflected in your awards will result in an e-mail to the student which serves as notification of the change.
  • You will be responsible for repaying any funds you receive that exceed your financial need, or if for any reason, you become ineligible for the financial aid.
  • If you drop classes, withdraw or make other academic changes, your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • If you stop attending classes without officially withdrawing, your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • You will receive financial aid in two installments (one half is disbursed for fall semester; the second half for spring semester), unless otherwise noted.


» Withdrawal

When the student withdraws during the payment period the FAA shall apply a specific formula to determine the amount of Title IV assistance earned up to that point.  If the student did not receive all of the funds earned, there may be due a Post-withdrawal disbursement, however the University must get the student's permission before it can disburse them. The student may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that additional debt is not incurred. 

If more assistance is received than earned, the unearned funds must be returned by the University and/or student to the appropriate federal program(s).

The amount of assistance that a student has earned is determined on a prorata basis. For example, if the student completed 30% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student earns 30% of the assistance originally scheduled to be received. Once the student has completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student earns all the assistance scheduled to be received for that period.

Unless a student completes 60% of the term in which federal aid was disbursed, the University and/or the student will be required to return all or part of the financial aid disbursed in the term. This applies to students who have officially, or unofficially withdrawn. The repayment calculation is performed utilizing the federal government's repayment worksheet: "Treatment of Title IV Funds When a Student Withdraws from a Credit-Hour Program".

The University is required to return the lesser of the unearned aid percentage applied to institutional charges or the unearned aid percentage applied to the total Title IV aid received within 45 days of the date of determination of the withdrawal. Unearned aid will be returned to the aid programs in the following order: Unsubsidized Direct Loans, Subsidized Direct Loans.

The student is required to pay the difference between the amount of unearned aid and the amount returned by the University. The student's share of loan funds to be returned may be repaid in accordance with the terms of the master promissory note.


» Students Rights and Responsibilities

As a financial aid applicant or recipient, you have certain rights and responsibilities. You should clearly understand them before you accept financial aid.


Student Rights

You have the right to:

  • Know what financial aid is available.
  • Know the procedures and deadlines for financial aid, including when and how your aid will be disbursed.
  • Know how your financial need is determined.
  • Expect fair and equitable treatment from the FAA and the Department of Finances staff. It is our goal to assist you promptly and professionally throughout the financial aid process.
  • Know the interest rate on any educational loan you have, the total amount you must repay, the length of the repayment period, when repayment begins and what cancellation or deferment provisions apply.
  • Know how Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is measured and how you can reestablish eligibility for federal financial aid if you fail to meet one of the standards.


Student Responsibilities

You are responsible for:

  • Filing the appropriate applications and forms for each type of aid that you wish to receive by the established deadlines.
  • Providing all requested information to the FFA accurately and promptly.
  • Regularly checking your university email account for important updates and notifications from the FFA.
  • Maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to established university policies and standards.
  • Reporting all financial assistance, such as scholarships, received from any outside source to the FFA.
  • Reporting any changes in your name, address or attendance status to the appropriate office within the university.
  • Repaying all student loans you receive. You must complete entrance counseling prior to receipt of your first Federal Direct Stafford. Additionally, upon graduation, withdrawal or enrollment less than half-time you will also need to complete exit counseling.
  • Understanding the withdrawal and refund policy of the Jagiellonian.